Fiber Optic Utility Locate Technician
BroadStaff is happy to present a great opportunity on behalf of our client, a tower and fiber integrator, for their full time, direct hire Fiber Optic Utility Locate Technician. This position will sit in the Jacksonville, FL and OT eligible.
A Fiber Optic Utility Locate Technician is responsible for the correct, safe and efficient identifying, locating and protecting of underground network facilities. Locators work from a company vehicle utilizing a laptop and smartphone to ensure clear and complete network identification for the excavator or property owner.
- Thoroughly search for underground utilities in an area, properly marking the location, fulfilling the necessary paperwork to complete the Locate.
- Operates locator system (sub-site and handheld) for installation of underground telecommunications cable conduit, including fiber optic cable.
- Ensures safety of the public and other utilities underground facilities.
- Ensures all applicable permits and locates are complete and on site.
- Performs all duties according to prescribed safety procedures and uses appropriate safety equipment.
- Outdoor work in all types of weather conditions. The company’ s 48-hour turnaround time on all locates means this position, and others, typically work the day after holidays and some weekends, as needed.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 2 years of experience utilizing geophysical multi-frequency locate equipment in the underground utility locating industry such as for a contract utility locating firm and/or a major utility company.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions; outdoor experience preferred.
- Must be able to work in a confined space.
- Must be computer proficient in Microsoft office / Word and ERIS/Google Earth mapping programs.
- Must be available to work overtime and some weekends (as needed).
- Sitting, standing, and walking.
- Lifting up to 75 pounds several times a day.
- Overhead lifting of over 20 pounds.
- Bending, stooping, climbing ladders and crawling.
- Long hours involving overtime and weekends as necessary.
- Ability to read effectively from a computer screen, sampling device and/or a paper copy.